View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atrianna
Guild Master

re: Profession Survival Guide

So, you have set out and finally got the servers to settle down so that you can check out the new stuff for Legion and you stop and think to yourself where in the world do I start with my professions. I am going to throw you a bone here, in the generic and metaphorical sense.

Quests and Recipes Levels

There are a couple things that you need to know about your professions. First, professions are going to be something you want to pay attention to early on. When you get through your beginning quests and find yourself finally in Dalaran, take a moment and head over to your profession trainer. You will find all of the primary profession trainers in their original home. Secondary profession trainers are scattered throughout the city with the fishing trainer sitting happily by the fountain, where she enjoys to be. The cooking trainer is nestled in the Dalaran kitchen. Pay special attention to that cooking trainer, I think you might find them familiar.

Now, both your crafting and gathering professions have quest lines that will add a little flair to how we are accustomed. Crafting profession quest lines will add to your recipe books as you level up. Make sure to check back in with the quest givers as you go. The first quest lines for each will give you 1 star versions of the recipes, but I will go into stars later. As you level, you will be directed to a new quest hub which will keep expanding on your expertise. Finally, you will reach a master crafter that will house some recipes that you can purchase once you finish the quests. These recipes will be important later, so do not neglect your professions!

Gathering professions will do something similar, but instead of recipes, you will earn skills in that. One example is Herablism. When you are picking herbs, you become better and better at that type of herb. Each herb has its own skill. The same goes for Mining. Skinning is a bit different in that you are able to collect more mats and increase your chance for rare mats when you skin. This ties into the ranking system for recipes. As you obtain new recipes you will notice stars next to their names. These indicate the rank of the recipe that you have. I originally thought that the recipe would level up the more I made it, but that isn’t the case. My recipes were being moved to rank 2 through quest lines and rank 3 from the final vendor. Please note, I did not level my professions at all other than my gathering while I did the quests. You can achieve 3 star recipes and greatly reduce the amount of materials that it takes to craft the items and make leveling cheaper in that sense! Do the quests. I can’t stress this enough!

Shoulder Enchants

Another note before you decide to run off and start leveling, there is an important decision you will be required to make in your garrison, where do you want to start leveling. If you don’t care about professions, just pick one and go. The thing here is that each zone has a reputation tied to it. Each reputation has a quartermaster, just like we are used to. These quartermasters have SHOULDER ENCHANTS. These shoulder enchants are AWESOME in building up resources for your desired profession. One of my favorites comes from the Dreamweavers, who are located in Val’sharah. Their enchant requires Honored, which you should reach questing there, and is called Boon of the Harvester. This enchants gives you a chance to loot Harvested Goods when you kill an enemy which will contain fish and herbs! I wasn’t an herbalist and this was a nice way to get those items that I need for some of the world quests without making another character. Maybe you don’t want fish and herb and that’s ok too. Another easy one to get is the Highmountain Tribe located in Highmountain. These guys provide Boon of the Butcher, which gives you meat, leather, and other animal items. Enchanters, I know The Nightfallen enchant Boon of the Manaseeker sounds awesome, but don’t even bother. This is a reputation that you will begin to work on at max level. For the different enchants, please check out the comments section in Wowhead HERE to help guide your decision. 

Obliterum Forge

Once you hit 110 and you have done the other quests, you are going to come across a quest that will want to craft your Obliterum Forge. Crafters, this is where you want to pay attention. Do this quest, it will require 2 leatherworking items, 1 blacksmith item, and 1 tailor item which can be crafted once the person has completed their profession quest chain up to the master. They will be able to purchase the recipe for the item needed and go about their business. For those wondering, early on these items will be a big money maker!! So, you complete your quest and now you have this forge, which is located near the profession vendors in Dalaran. There is a small tutorial quest to show you how to use it. You click on the forge, you place the item in the window that comes up and click to obliterate it. Obliterated items produce Obliterum Ash, which is required to create Obliterum. Currently it takes 100 ash to make 1 Obliterum. You may ask, “Can I put everything in the forge?” and the answer is no. You can only place crafted items 800il+ into the forge to generate Obliterum. Also, crafted items can be upgraded 8 times, each upgrade taking 1 Obliterum and bestowing 5 item levels on the item. And for all the other questions, no there is no current limit to crafted items that you can wear on the beta, but be weary that this might change going live.

Sure, the forge sounds ok and definitely worth, but why would we be crafting items just to obliterate them? Well, Blizzard has removed the ability to reroll stats on an item that is crafted. The only way to obtain that perfect piece, is to craft until you get it. All the waste items that were produced in the process will go straight in the forge to never be seen again. Or you could auction house them if you really wanted.

Secondary Professions Minus Archeology

So you made it this far, and I have thrown a lot of various things at you, but you might wonder well what about fishing, cooking, first aid, and archeology?! Well, I’m sorry to say that I did not test archeology. I actually cannot stand the profession and it is always the last thing I bother doing in an expansion. All you diggers out there are just going to have to fill us in. I did, however, test cooking, fishing and a little bit of first aid.

So let me start with first aid. Throughout your questing you will begin to receive quests to cure a sick traveler in a random location. These quests provide +5 to your first aid and don’t seem to do much else. You will be required to purchase 3 field medic kits in order to complete them, which are sold in Dalaran in the first aid store. Yes, you can still make bandages with cloth too. Lord knows you will be doing that anyway. Have at it. I did not get into this too much as first aid is usually straight forward and a less used profession. When you go through it, share your thoughts!

Cooking was ok, but not super exciting. There were a few quests that I obtained, assumingly because I completed the initial cooking quest in Dalaran that provided a recipe here and there. These were important to finish, because your Dalaran trainer will give you a quest to obtain 6 Legion recipes. Make sure you start in Dalaran and take care of that. Recipes weren’t easy to come by. Once I was max level and I had obtained 6 recipes, I was able to start work orders in the Dalaran kitchen to research new recipes. Work orders seemed to take all kinds of materials. I maxed them out with various mats, but I have not confirmed whether submitting a work order with stag meat produced a recipe with stag meat. My cooking skills apparently burned a lot of food. That is an unfortunate side effect to the work orders. Don’t forget to pick up and reset these work orders if you want to make all the good stuff. A fun cooking note is that you can make bacon to extend your current food buff. Bacon is much cheaper and easier to come by, but let’s be real, we are all gonna die too much for that. Some foods that you can make have interesting well fed side effects. One gives you sprint after killing a mob for an example.

Fishing was fun. You have your normal fishing with pools and such. There were a few things that I did stumble upon as I ran around. The first thing is that there is a whole new set up crap to fish up for an achieve in the Dalaran fountain. YAY…… not. Secondly, I was fishing in the sewers of Dalaran, over in that flooded room because there were pools that popped up that gave Sightless Eyes, which are a currency for the sewers and a topic I will cover at a later time, and I obtained an Emblem of Margoss. This is a port item to Margoss’ Retreat. It is a one-time use and will need to be obtained to visit again. Margoss is the new Nat Pagle. He has currency (drowned mana) and reputation, much the same at Nat did. Things to note about this area: Mana used to gain rep is consumed and mana spent on toys or the cool new mount does not give you rep. There was an item I fished up there called the Mark of Aquaos. I threw it into the lake and defeated a creature that spawned. Once it was defeated, the lake began to shimmer and my chance to fish up mana was greatly increased during this time. The buff to the lake area seemed to last a short time, so I made use of it as much as possible. Another fun tip is that the vendors sell come fun items to use as bobbers. Check them out just to spice things up.

Another fishing point of interest is the fishing artifact, which Blizzard did try and keep secret, but you know that never works. In order to even start this quest to obtain it, you must fish up every rare fish in the Broken Isles. Don’t worry, I have faith that all the fisherman will figure it out. The pole looks pretty cool and has a talent tree just like our artifacts. I can’t wait to get this.

Well guys, that's all I have at the moment. I will expand as I can. If you have questions, please post them below and I can go find out if I don't already know the answer. As always stay awesome Pandas!

awesome post thanks for the info :)

Daamd

I likey mucho. 5/5 stars for Atri.

Team Member

I'm a miner.

Fjol
Officer

I guess I got to get my blacksmithing up to par b4 legion hits. I stopped carrying about professions awhile back

Soduhs
Team Member

actually in Legion profession level doesn't really matter, you can craft everything with a (1) skill level.  Now you want to have at least 100 to get the daily quests thou.

Soduhs
Team Member

Actually i think the Profession level you need to start the Daily quests is 300.  I copied over a character with 300 JC and 100 Mining, got the JC daily but no mining - altho I'm not sure mining has one, but I would assume it does.

Atrianna
Guild Master

Thanks for testing that Soduh!

Jump to: